Perfect Balance of Historical and Modern
Dover is more than just a home for music festivals and race cars — it is a place filled with history and culture. Enjoy shopping in country stores and local malls or taking a walk in one of our many public parks. Finish the night with some gambling or beer tasting at one of our local craft breweries. From museums to farms to dining and more, the nation’s first capital has so many possibilities for an amazing vacation.
In 2017, Dover celebrated its 300th birthday. Read more about Dover through the centuries.
Popular Activities in Dover, Delaware
With so many things to do in Dover, Delaware, you'll never be at a shortage of fun and exciting family-friendly activities to enjoy and places to explore. From NASCAR racing to gambling to live musical entertainment, the Village of Dover will keep you busy with exciting attractions and special events all year long.
Check out some of the most popular activities in Dover:
- Dover Motor Speedway: Also known as the "Monster Mile," this renowned racetrack has been entertaining fans for over 50 years and is famous for being the largest concrete-only racing venue in NASCAR. You can even see Dover Motor Speedway's iconic mascot, Miles the Monster, who stands at a towering 46 feet tall.
- Bally's Dover Casino Resort: If you're a fan of slots and table games, this Dover casino is the place for you. With gambling, live entertainment, horse racing, delicious dining and a full-service spa, you'll be sure to experience an evening of excitement and glamour.
- Dover Days Festival: Celebrate Dover's rich history at the Dover Days Festival. This annual event dedicated to Delaware's culture features immersive family-friendly activities like parades, Maypole dancing, games and historical re-enactments. This fun-filled event takes place annually on the first Saturday of May.
- Firefly Music Festival: For an eclectic lineup of live musical performances by some of the most current artists in the industry, purchase passes to the Firefly Music Festival. This bright, colorful festival features a silent disco, beach club and a central market for a night of music and fun.
Museums and Historic Buildings
In addition to its many popular activities and attractions, Kent County is also home to a variety of immersive historic sites. Founded in 1683, Dover is rich in history, packed with over three centuries worth of historical attractions and artifacts. This charming village has dozens of fascinating cultural buildings and museums for the whole family to explore.
Immerse yourself in Dover history by visiting some of our most popular historical sites:
- Air Mobility Command Museum: This expansive Air Force museum highlights the history of aviation with free flight simulators, exciting events and over 30 real aircraft. And don't forget to stop by the gift shop to purchase some memorable souvenirs!
- Old State House: The Old State House was built in 1791 and was used as Delaware's capitol building during the formative years of the United States and continued as the state's capitol until 1933.
- Johnson Victrola Museum: This museum highlights the legacy and achievements of Eldridge Reeves Johnson who was a pivotal figure in Delaware history and founder of the Victor Talking Machine Company.
- John Dickinson Plantation: Step back in time to Colonial America and explore the John Dickinson Plantation. Learn about the legacy of John Dickinson, one of the founding fathers and signers of the U.S. Constitution.
Restaurants and Shopping
If you're looking for things to do in Dover, Delaware, visit some of our many restaurants and shopping centers. You can spend the day browsing our wide selection of local shops before settling down at one of our Kent County restaurants for a delicious meal.
Food and Drinks
If you crave exquisite local foods and beverages after a day out, Dover has all of the restaurants you could dream of with exceptional eateries. With so many different types of meals and drinks to choose from, you'll never be at a shortage of dining options. Choose from:
- Asian restaurants
- Sandwich shops
- Mexican food
- Bar and grills
Be sure to scroll down to filter through our full list of delectable food spots.
Dover also has dozens of local shopping centers for you to explore, so you can engage in hours of tax-free retail therapy at your leisure. From antique shops to farmers' markets to consignment stores, Kent County has a shop to fulfill your every need.
You'll find a wide variety of charming and unique shopping centers in Dover, including:
- Clothing boutiques.
- Gift shops.
- Farmers markets.
- Antique shops.
- Consignment stores.
- Furniture shops.
- Flea markets.
Outdoor Destinations and Parks
When you enter Dover, Delaware, in search of things to do, you won't be disappointed by our variety of beautiful outdoor destinations. Spend your stay surrounded by nature, in the park or at one of the local nature reserves. No matter what you do, you'll be sure to have fun soaking up the sun on a beautiful Dover day.
Here are a few of our many popular outdoor sites:
- Hunn Nature Park: This is Kent County's largest park at 172 acres and houses wetlands, uplands, meadows and sub-aqueous lands. The park is located south of Dover and can be easily reached from Rt. 1.
- Little Creek Wildlife Area: With over 4,7000 acres of land to explore, this nature experience is perfect for hunting, fishing, birding and photography.
- St. Jones Reserve: This public reserve features hiking trails, interactive activities and exhibits and volunteer opportunities for you and your family to explore.
Where to Stay in Dover, Delaware
If you're looking for a place to stay during your Kent County vacation, there are lots of Dover, Delaware hotels that will make you feel right at home. Some of our many lodging options include:
- Bally's Dover Casino Resort
- State Street Inn Bed & Breakfast
- Hilton Garden Inn
- Home2 Suites
- Residence Inn Dover
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites
Filter by Categories and Events Below!
If you're looking to explore Delaware's Quaint Villages but don't know which town to choose, take a look at Dover, Delaware. With so many things to do, including museums, shopping centers and outdoor parks, you'll be able to fill your entire day with entertainment that's fun for the whole family. Whether you choose to get a drink at the local brewery, hit the casino or spend the day visiting Dover's many historical sites, you'll be able to explore Delaware's Quaint Villages at your own pace.
Results 1 - 12 of 170
9 East Taphouse can accommodate up to 200 people depending on the type of event. Contact 302-744-8061 for more information.
Step into a piece of this nation's Air Force aviation history. More than 30 aircraft ranging from an open cockpit bi-plane to modern four-engine jet…
Angelo's Pizza in the heart of Downtown Historic Dover.
Bally's Dover Casino Resort offers luxurious hotel accommodations; amenities and activities. We offer many services that will enhance your stay – headline…
Welcome to Bangkok Thai Cuisine. Come and enjoy authentic Thai Cuisine at one of our locations. We at the Bangkok Thai Cuisine offer true Thai cuisine and…
Bavarian Bakery and Deli is a 1st generation family owned German bakery and sandwich shop located in the capital city of Dover Delaware.
Need a morning boost or afternoon treat? Follow the delicious aromas to Best Odds Coffee & Quick Bites at Bally's Dover Casino Resort. Have your pick of…
Located in Dover , DE, the Best Western Galaxy Inn is sure to provide a peaceful and comforting home away from home for any traveler. Each Best Western…
Established in 1993, the Sewell C. Biggs Museum of American Art Museum houses one of the finest collections of American fine and decorative arts.The Biggs…
Coastal to Country minimal effort kinda style. "Laid Back Luxury", offers Xsmall-3XL Dresses, rompers, swimwear, costume made bracelets & jewelry, leggins,…
As your florist, we can send anything from daisies to lilies to roses. We carry wonderful gift items, from stuffed animals, to candles, to decor for any…