Stop and smell the roses with a visit to Smyrna.
Smyrna, Delaware, is the perfect spot for an artistic excursion. The village has many activities for visitors who love fine and performing arts, including art galleries, performing arts and live music. If you're looking for a great place to eat or drink, Smyrna is home to popular restaurants, diners, microbreweries and a distillery. Smyrna has all the ingredients for a leisurely getaway with many outdoor destinations and relaxing places to stay.
Much like the other towns in Delaware’s Quaint Villages, Smyrna offers many cultural activities for those who love both fine and performing arts. Between live music performances, art galleries, and even operas, Smyrna is the ideal spot for an artistic excursion. Looking for a place to eat and drink? Smyrna also hosts microbreweries, restaurants, and diners perfect for a late morning brunch. Arts and dining are key ingredients to creating a leisurely getaway.
Popular Activities in Smyrna, Delaware
Smyrna is full of exciting activities that offer something for everyone. With distillery tours and live music performances, there are attractions to explore all year long.
Check out these popular Smyrna activities:
- Painted Stave Distilling tour: Take a tour of Painted Stave Distilling, Delaware's first small-batch distillery. You'll enjoy sipping on unique, delicious cocktails while watching the distillery process in action and learning about how Painted Stave Distilling came to be.
- Smyrna at Night: Head to Smyrna's downtown to experience the annual Smyrna at Night music festival in August. This free, two-day live music event features over 40 acts, a music crawl and happy hour.
Museums and Culture
Smyrna is also home to many museums, historic buildings and cultural sites. Founded in 1716 under the name Salisbury, Smyrna became the official village name in 1806. Today, the village offers many fascinating attractions to honor its three centuries of history.
Visit these treasured historical sites to immerse yourself in Smyrna's history:
- Smyrna Museum: The Smyrna Museum features two historic wartime buildings that date back to the 1700s — The Plank House and The Barracks. Today, the buildings hold numerous historical artifacts and paintings, as well as rotating monthly exhibits.
- Smyrna Opera House: The historic Smyrna Opera House was built in 1870 and restored in 2003. This cultural arts center hosts music and theater performances, showcasing local visual, creative and performing artists.
- Belmont Hall: Belmont Hall is one of the most historic Delaware houses. Built in 1773, this breathtaking Georgian mansion is surrounded by spacious grounds and beautiful gardens. Take a tour of the mansion to learn local history, hear stories about former Belmont residents and enjoy the pleasant grounds.
If you're looking to experience the great outdoors, Smyrna has plenty of beautiful outdoor destinations to visit. A few of our most notable nature sites include:
Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge: Famous for its exceptional bird and wildlife viewing, Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge is a must-stop for nature lovers. You can explore the refuge all year round with its five walking trails, 12-mile wildlife drive and three observation towers.
- Blackbird State Forest: For a breathtaking woodland experience, visit Blackbird State Forest. This 5,400-acre forest boasts over 40 miles of trails for you to explore with 10 different trails, including a wheelchair-accessible option.
Breweries and Restaurants
For a taste of local food and libations after a day out, stop in one of Smyrna's popular breweries and eateries. You'll find plenty of cuisine options to satisfy any food or drink craving.
Brick Works: This brewpub is a local favorite. They offer unique beer and food pairings with dishes made from locally sourced ingredients for a delectable dining experience.
Main Street Market: Main Street Market has been a Smyrna family tradition for over four decades. With homemade baked goods, deli meats, fresh-made salads, breakfast options all day long and many other delicious treats, there's something for every tastebud.
Blue Earl Brewing: This popular microbrewery is known for its variety of hoppy American ales, German lagers, Belgian specialties and ever-changing seasonal offerings.
- 1 North Main Eats & Sweets: Located in the heart of downtown Smyrna, 1 North Main Eats & Sweets serves an extensive collection of coffee, cake, and comfort dishes.
Where to Stay
If you're looking for a place to stay during your Kent County visit, Smyrna has many options to choose from. Lodgings include:
Best Western: This peaceful and comforting hotel is a home away from home where you can enjoy a restful and productive stay.
Economy Inn: This quaint motel near downtown Smyrna offers close proximity to many local attractions and eateries.
Blackbird State Forest camping: Fall asleep under the stars at one of Blackbird State Forest's five campsites.