A Surprising Take on The Past
As the nation’s first state, we have deep roots in American history. But you won’t find the typical run-of-the-mill museums in Delaware’s Quaint Villages. Our sites celebrate surprising, exciting and unconventional pieces of history. Here you can learn something unexpected, and get a better sense of where you came from.
If you have an inquisitive mind and a love for learning, you'll be captivated by the many museums in Kent County, Delaware. We have over a dozen incredible museums featuring a variety of themes and content that caters to a wide array of interests, like the Johnston Victrola Museum and the Air Mobility Command Museum. Through our extensive network of museums, you and your loved ones can learn about anything from history to agriculture to railroads and more.
Learn more about some of our many Kent County, Delaware museums:
- Bowers Beach Maritime Museum
- Barratt’s Chapel & Museum
- Delaware State Police Museum
- Greater Harrington Historical Society Museums
- John Dickinson Plantation
- Old State House
- Milford Museum
Many of these remarkable museums in Kent County, Delaware come complete with tours, interactive displays, special exhibits and hundreds of fascinating artifacts for you and your family to enjoy. With so many museums, you'll never be at a shortage of things to see or learn. Check out our full list of museums today.
Air Force Exploration
You can learn all about Delaware's Air Force aviation history with the Dover Air Mobility Command Museum. With over 30 types of military aircraft, free flight simulators, tours, special events and more, you'll be amazed by the grand exhibits at the Air Mobility Command Museum.
Art Exhibitions and Exhibits
Satisfy your creative side by exploring the arts in Delaware's Quaint Villages. From live musical performances and art classes to film viewings and more, we offer a wide array of quality entertainment events for all ages. We have art galleries and theatres as well as a historic opera house to satisfy all of your artistic and creative desires.
Some of our many artistic cultural sites include:
- Theatre: For high-quality theatrical productions, visit Kent County Theatre Guild, The Smyrna Opera House, The Children's Theatre and more.
- Galleries: Visit one of Delaware's Quaint Villages' beautiful art galleries, including Gallery 37: A Destination for Artful Living, Dover Art League and more.
- Art museum: Biggs Museum of American Art is your viewing destination for American fine and decorative arts and even offers rotating historical and contemporary art exhibits.
Cultural and Historical Sites
Immerse yourself in our history by visiting one of over a dozen famed historical sites. You'll be amazed at the vast culture and history of Delaware's Quaint Villages, with buildings that date as far back as the late 1600s. These gorgeous locations, including churches, mansions, government buildings and more, each have their own stories and are important parts of history in Kent County, Delaware.
Consider checking out some of our many historical sites, including:
- Parson Thorne Mansion: This beautiful mansion, built in the 1600s, includes 1,750 acres of land and has changed hands several times throughout history. Call ahead to make a reservation to tour the historic mansion and grounds.
- John Bell House: This historical site is the meeting place for guided walking tours with First State Heritage Park. It is the oldest wooden structure on The Green.
- John Dickinson Plantation: You can visit the home of U.S. founding father and "Penman of the Revolution," John Dickinson, and immerse yourself in 18th century America.
- Historic Belmont Hall: This treasured mansion was built in 1773 and is surrounded by beautiful gardens. Belmont Hall holds tours and special events upon request. Call ahead to receive a tour.
Delaware's Quaint Villages
If you want all the charm of small-town living paired with a rich history, Delaware's Quaint Villages are the places to go. With 20 different nearby villages, you'll never be at a shortage of shopping destinations, breweries and outdoor adventures to explore. Consider visiting one of our most popular towns, including:
- Dover: Over 300 years old, this town has a rich history and culture and also offers modern delights like music festivals, boutique shops for tax-free shopping, dining spots and racing events. With lots of museums, a casino, shopping, restaurants and more, Dover is your prime vacation destination.
- Harrington: Harrington offers attractions and events, such as horse races and Delaware's beloved Annual State Fair as well as historical sites and even a famous casino.
- Smyrna: This is another town that values the power of artistic expression. This Village also has wildlife refuge parks, restaurants and historic sites.
- Milford: Milford is a hub for arts and culture. Milford has many art galleries, performance spaces and more, along with beautiful shops and a waterfront riverwalk.
For a full list of Delaware's Quaint Villages' historic towns, click here.
Explore Delaware's Quaint Villages at Your Own Pace
Once you're finished exploring all of our museums, art galleries and historical houses in Delaware's Quaint Villages, consider engaging in one of Kent County, Delaware's many additional attractions and events. No matter your family's interests, Delaware's Quaint Villages have a wide range of activities to stir the fascination and excitement of any visitor.
With so many things to do in Kent County, Delaware, you'll always be entertained. Check out some of our main attractions:
- Nature and outdoor activities
- Historical sites and museums
- Events and Festivals
- Local eateries and libations
Whatever your personal itinerary holds, you'll be sure to have a wonderful time exploring Delaware's Quaint Villages at your own pace.
Plan Your Trip Today!
If you're looking to absorb local history, Delaware's Quaint Villages are the place to be. From museums to historic houses and more, we've got it all. You can also enjoy tax-free shopping, free and low-cost attractions and a variety of beautiful photo opportunities. No matter your reason for your visit, you and your family will be sure to enjoy the many delights of Delaware's Quaint Villages.
Results 13 - 24 of 40
Gallery 37 opened its door in Milford, Delaware in mid-December of 2012. Gallery 37 is a Destination for Artful Living. Stop in for fine arts, artisan…
Located on the Heritage Trail, directly across the street form the Governor's Mansion. The house is listed as the Leason House on the National Register of…
Before the Civil War, African American Freedom Seekers fled north to freedom through a combination of people and landscapes that became known as the…
Founded in May 1977, the Greater Harrington Historical Society is one of the oldest in Delaware. From our humble beginnings in an office, we have grown to…
The Harrington Railroad Museum has been initiated and maintained by the Harrington Historical Society. Along with memorabilia from the City's colorful past,…
Belmont Hall, a Georgian mansion built in 1773, is one of the most treasured and historic houses in Delaware. Surrounded by spacious grounds and beautiful…
Beautiful 3 story, 10 bedroom mansion built in 1937 sitting on 90 acres in Milford, DE. Enter the gated tree lined driveway which leads you to Sunnybrae…
The oldest wooden structure on The Green serves as the interpretive center for the First State Heritage Park, where visitors can learn about the history of…
Welcome to the home of John Dickinson, one of the founding fathers of the United States, signer of the U.S. Constitution, and "Penman of the Revolution." We…
The museum highlights the life and achievements of Delaware's native son, Eldridge Reeves Johnson, founder of the Victor Talking Machine Company and a…
Courtroom #1 dates back to 1874. The history of Dover is closely to Delaware's courts, and to William Penn's 1683 establishment of Dover as the site for…
Kent County Theatre Guild has been providing quality, award-winning theater to the central Delaware community since 1953. We currently present five shows…