Delaware's Quaint Villages: Summer Events and Activities
Summer vacation in Kent County, Delaware, means big events, chances to explore local history and late-night treats such as ice cream while strolling down a tree-lined village street. Plan your summer activities for both adults and kids by checking out some of the highlights from Delaware's Quaint Villages.
Firefly Music Festival, Delaware State Fair, Monster Mile and More
Big events make Kent County, Delaware, a draw during the summer. Get your tickets early to ensure you enjoy the action at these fun destinations:
- Firefly Music Festival: Held in June, the festival features live music from top-name entertainers at The Woodlands of Dover International Speedway. You can also enjoy camping at the festival.
- Delaware State Fair: This state fair, which takes place in late July, includes live music, vendors, kids' games and all the deep-fried food you can imagine. Children will especially love the 4-H demonstrations with animals.
- June Jam: To kick off Summer June Jam features live, outdoor music and optional camping. The next festival is set to take place on June 19th, 2021. Reserve your tickets and camping spot by visiting June Jam's website.
- Delaware Beer, Wine and Spirits Festival: This annual Summer festival features the area's best wine, beer and spirit tastings. Outdoor tables seat up to 6 and this unique event features a friendly atmosphere and live entertainment.
- Ladybug Music Festival: The Ladybug Music Festival is an annual celebration of female artists in a two-day lineup that features folk, R&B, indie and alternative artists, among others. Visit the festival's website to learn more.
Enjoy Nature Parks and Activities
Summer means longer days and more time to explore outside. Check out these three popular local parks for exercise and enjoyment.
Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge has mud flats, tidal pools, creeks and rivers to explore as you search for local wildlife. Plan your visit to coincide with the educational programs and learn more about the area.
Is the heat getting to you? Cool off with a visit to Killens Pond State Park and Water Park, where you can take a paddleboat out on the water or splash around on the water slides. Short hikes are also available throughout the park.
Abbott's Mill is a historic 200-year-old grist mill located along beautiful Abbott's Pond. Walking trails and self-guided outdoor activities are available along with a nature center and bird watching. Also, every 3rd Saturday of each month, the mill is open to guided tours.
Kent County, Delaware, has four popular breweries where you can sample memorable food and drink — be sure to try the house brews. The two gorgeous wineries offer more than a dozen wines, including local varieties exclusive to the winery. Bring some home to remember your trip. The area also offers artful distilleries with historic, speakeasy atmospheres.
At the more than half a dozen museums in Kent County, Delaware, you can learn more about the country's heritage and colonial history. From art to aviation, the choices will excite you as you learn more about our nation's history.
Start Planning Your Trip Today
Our Kent County, Delaware, summer vacation ideas can keep you busy during your visit. Find more to explore by clicking on the links above and request a free visitors guide. Please also feel free to visit our events calendar to view activities and events happening during every season of the year.