If you're making plans to visit the State Fair, here's what you need to know before making the trip:
- What: The Delaware State Fair is a volunteer-supported, nonprofit event dedicated to preserving the area's rich agricultural history through educational exhibits, competitions and demonstrations. This year, the fair theme is “Summer Nights and Carnival Lights.”
- When: The Delaware State Fair opens at noon on July 21 and will run through July 30.
- Where: The main events will occur at the Fairgrounds at 18500 S. DuPont Highway, Harrington, DE 19952.
We recommend purchasing tickets in advance to beat the lines. Note that the following rates do not include additional fees:
- Adults: Tickets for adults age 13 and older are $10 online.
- Youth: Youth tickets for kids ages 6-12 are $5 online.
- Children: All children age 5 and under get in for free.
For more admission information, including details on special discounts and group tickets, check the official State Fair website or call 302-398-3269.
Attractions and Events
Here's a sampling of what you can expect from a typical day at the Fair:
- Educational exhibits: Check out diverse exhibits from groups like the local 4-H Club and FFA, the Delaware Department of Agriculture, and the University of Delaware. Check out the Exhibitors page to see what's happening when.
- Wade Shows Midway Carnival: Friends and families can play the day away at the Wade Shows Carnival! The Carnival opens at 5 p.m. on July 21 and remains open throughout the week.
- Daily entertainment: Something's always happening throughout the fairgrounds! From pig races to BMX stunt shows to nightly parades, you'll never run out of opportunities for excitement.
Visit the official website for the full Delaware State Fair schedule.
Want to know who is performing at the Delaware State Fair this year? Notable acts include:
- Thursday, July 21: Country star Sam Hunt kicks off the festivities with up-and-coming singer-songwriter Roman Alexander. Tickets start at $52.
- Friday, July 22: Legendary female-fronted hard rock group Halestorm takes the stage with alt-rock band Cream Camino for a night of electric excitement. Tickets start at $20.
- Friday, July 29: Frank Reyes, the Prince of Bachata, is sure to get you dancing with opening act Frankie Ruiz, Jr. Tickets start at $30.
- Saturday, July 30: We couldn't think of a better way to close the fair than classic country tunes from Hank Williams, Jr. and Jake Worthington. Tickets start at $40.
All concerts will take place on the M&T Bank Grandstand stage at 7:30 p.m. Check the official website for the full lineup and more information about concerts at the Delaware State Fair.
Other Live Entertainment
Catch the following events between concerts at the M&T Bank Grandstand:
- Demolition Derby: Experience the thrill of the Taylor & Messick Demolition Derby at 6:00 p.m. on Sunday, July 24. Tickets start at $18.
- Harness Racing: Presented by Harrington Raceway & Casino, the harness race begins at 7:00 p.m. on Thursday, July 28. Bring the whole family — admission is free of charge.
What to Do in Harrington, DE
While you're in the area, why not stay a while? Experience everything Harrington has to offer, from local shops to excellent food.
Where to Stay
Do you plan to spend several days at the fair? Stay at one of the top hotels in Harrington:
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites: Conveniently located at 17271 S. DuPont Highway, just down the road from the Fairgrounds. Call 302-398-8800, or visit the website for booking information.
- Quality Inn & Suites: This pet-friendly hotel is located at 1259 Corn Crib Rd. Call 302-398-3900 for more information, or check booking availability online.
Where to Eat
Some of the best restaurants in Harrington include:
- Rudy's Family Diner: Known for its modern takes on Italian classics, Rudy's Family Diner is an essential part of the Harrington community. Located at 17064 DuPont Highway, Rudy's offers takeout and delivery as well as dine-in service — call the restaurant at 302-786-2766 for more information.
- Main Street Cafe & Sweets: Want to grab breakfast or lunch before arriving at the fair? Main Street Cafe & Sweets is a quaint, locally-owned breakfast and lunch cafe located at 29 Commerce St.
- The Stargate Diner: Featuring excellent food and a charming atmosphere, The Stargate Diner is located at 16967 DuPont Highway, making it a great place to stop on your way to your hotel. You can book a table online or call the diner at 302-566-6392.
- Bōnz Restaurant & Lounge: Named the best restaurant in Harrington by Delaware Today, Bōnz Restaurant & Lounge is an upscale dining venue connected to the Harrington Raceway & Casino. Offerings include mouthwatering steaks and seafood dishes and a variety of creative appetizers. Be sure to reserve a table in advance!
Things to Do
Here are some ideas to make the most of your time in Harrington:
- Local shopping: In the mood to shop? Check out Harrington's best local stores, including The Clutter Box Antiques & Used Furniture and Downhome Dixie.
- Intriguing Museums: Can't get enough farming history? Visit the Messick Agricultural Museum to see antique farm equipment and memorabilia. The Greater Harrington Historical Society also offers three museums dedicated to preserving the region's story through fascinating exhibits.
- Family fun: Harrington has plenty of opportunities for wholesome family bonding. Sporty kids will love a trip to the All About the Swing batting facility, where they can practice their swing or learn a new skill. Need to spend more time in the outdoors? Take a nice walk through Browns Branch County Park's beautiful trail to the picnic site and enjoy an outdoor meal together.
- Nightlife: In the mood for some late-night thrills? Look no further than Harrington Raceway & Casino at 18500 DuPont Highway. Boasting 1,400 slots and the state's top poker room as well as one of the oldest racetracks in the nation, Harrington Raceway & Casino is great fun for adults who want to keep the good times going after the fair.
Visit the Harrington travel web page for even more ways to experience the village of Harrington, Delaware.
Visit the Delaware State Fair Website for More Info!
Whether you're a State Fair regular or you're attending for the first time, you're sure to have a blast. You can find more information about events, parking and admission and more on the official Delaware State Fair website. We can't wait to see you at the Fair!